‘Tis the season of many parties, and as invitations start appearing in your mailbox, you can’t help but be confused by the dizzying display of dress codes. There’s business casual, casual chic, country club casual, dressy casual, resort casual, and just casual. There’s also black tie, festive, cocktail, and my personal favorite, “dress ↑”. Dress codes, like Henry Ford’s Model T, used to be a lot simpler. Now, even when there is a dress designation on your invitation, it’s unclear what to wear. So, what can you do? Ask yourself these questions, and you’ll be dressed to impress this holiday season.
- Who’s on the guest list? If it’s an office party, you might dress more conservatively than if the party will be attended by your still wild and crazy college friends.
- What will your host/hostess be wearing? There’s no shame in asking when you’re really not sure.
- Where’s the party being held? If the party is being held in a fancy hotel you can dress more formally then if the party is held at someone’s home or a more casual restaurant.
- When is the party? Weekends, especially Saturday nights call for more formal dress than a weeknight party.
- Why stress when you have a Little Black Dress? There’s a reason why this wardrobe staple has stood the test of time so well. No matter the occasion, there’s never a time when your LBD isn’t perfectly appropriate. Change your lipstick and your jewelry, and you can step it up or down in minutes.
Party on…and dress ↑!